Thursday, September 25, 2008

AWESOME 91

We were privleged to have my Grandma Meacham down this week and she will be turning 91 on Sunday the 28th. We through a party for her and she was so excited. My Grandma loves nothing more than the attention to be all about her. In a good way that is. She takes it all in but she also gives back plenty. These last few day I have been able to sit and talk to Grandma about her past. She doesn't remember things quiet like it happened but I got the jist. I learned that my Great Grandpa Meacham was one mean son of a gun but his wife was the sweetest lady you would ever meet. My Grandpa Nelson my Grandmothers father was a good man but when he got drunk it was a whole different story. He would ride through town on his horse shooting his gun. Everyone was afraid of him so they would just hide out somewhere until he ran out of bullets or passed out somewhere. My Great Grandma Nelson died when my Granmother was really young. She got phenmonia and one night when my Grandmother was sleeping next to her mother she passed away. My grandma said that to keep her body until the funeral they would pack the bodies with frozed coke bottles. My Great Grandma stayed in the bed she died in until the day she was buried.I find it amazing how they did things back in the early 1900s.

My Grandma told me today that she had a son that died at birth weighing 10 lbs. 10 oz. his name was Miles. He was born before my dad. My dad is the youngest of the 9 kids. 5 of them were from my Grandma and the others from previous wives who had passed on. My Grandma married my Grandpa when she was 18 and he was 40. I looked through the geneology book and when my grandma turned 3 he was married to his first wife. I never knew my Grandfather but have heard wonderful stories about him. Grandma will be back for Thanksgiving and I can't wait to pick her brain some more.

My Grandma was telling me that one time she and her friend skipped church and went riding their horses. She said they got out a ways and could hear a cougars cry. As they turned around she said they felt it was getting closer. She said is all she could do was pray that they would make it back saftly and she would never miss church again. Well she says they never skipped church after that. But she said that every time she hears a cougar which she said hasn't been for many years chills run down her spine. I have heard a cougars cry and it is very frightening. She also said that one time her and a friend decided they were going to try smoking so they took some bark and crushed it up and rolled it in paper. She said she had never tried a real cigarette but that made her never want to try one either. She said the taste was so bad that even talking about it after all these years she can still remember the taste. My Grandma is so awesome I love her so much. I haven't really spent much time with my grandma because she lives in Delta but the last few years my dad brings her down about every other month. I know by some of the stories shes told she had a very hard life growing up. She is a great women and I hope I'm just like her when I grow up.
My Uncle Dee, Grandma, and my Dad

1 comment:

Julz said...

Wow- those are some great stories! And that's so great that you wrote them down so you will always remember them. I love grilling my grandparents, too. I've found that they also have "selected" memories!