Sunday, June 15, 2008

I would just like to share a very touching experience that both Gino and I had while in the hospital with Jace. While we were in the waiting room waiting to see Jace a very sweet gal named Rachel came and introduced herself. I think we were both looking alittle distraut. They told us we would be seeing Jace in 15 minutes and it had be 1 1/2 hours. She said she was in the room next door and why don't we come meet her daughter Olivia. We would be able to see Jace through the window in Olivias room. The minute I laid eyes on Olivia I fell in LOVE. Rachel told us that she had Leukimia but it had gone into remision. Because of part of the chemo she had developed pancreatitis and her kidneys and I believe part of her liver were failing. I was in awe. Here is the mother with a very sick child befriending Gino and I and helping us in every way possible. Since our rooms were next to each other we became good friends over the 5 days we were there. Gino and I were just as concerned for Olivia as her own parents. Later Gino found out that the left over sandwiches that the Ronald Mcdonald house would send in Rachel would gather up and take to the homeless. What a great selfless act. She could have spent that extra 1/2 hour or so that it took her to drop the sandwiches off to be with her 2 year old son. Instead she chose to do and act of service. What a great lesson this has taught me about service and pitying ones self. She nor her husband Bill did any of that. Once Jace started walking he liked to step in and say Hi to Olivia. Sometimes in the middle of the night if he heard a noise he would ask me to get up and check to make sure Olivia was o.k. They may have done surgery on his to big heart but it didn't change the big heart he has. I was so greatfull when Rachel came to our room and asked us to join them in a fast for Olivia. Gino, Ty and I were able to fast on Saturday and I am so gratefull for the opportunity. Please keep sweet Livi in your prayers. Things are looking up for here but she is still not out of the woods. When we left she was awake and Jace was able to say goodbye to her. She waved and said goodbye back. When we went in she wasn't even able to move she was sudated and hooked to to many machine. Please take a minute to say a prayer for our precious friend Livi.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

May I just say, it is true that we can forget our trials when we serve others. I had been so down that I couldn't DO anything. I didn't even recognize it as service. Thank you for answering my prayers! Jade, you keep being strong.
Love,
Rachel